Collection of Information
Impact collects and maintains certain information about you and your business when you register with us and conduct business with us. This information may include, but is not limited to, your driver's license number, your birth date, dealer registration number, and vehicle purchases and sales (e.g. type of vehicle, quantity, price, vehicle identification number, odometer reading, storage, Year, make, model, date of purchase and/or sale, purchase and/or sale patterns), banking information, financial information and tax information. Some of the information collected by Impact may be "personal information" within the meaning of federal and/or provincial privacy laws.
Purpose of Collecting Personal Information
Impact collects personal information for the following purposes:
- to process your application and related documents required to become a registered Impact customer and to make a decision regarding the acceptance or rejection of customer applications;
- to verify the information that you provide to us;
- to verify, evaluate and/or monitor your creditworthiness;
- to assist with the collection of any amounts owing by you to Impact;
- to contact you in response to any purchases, requests, complaints or comments you may have;
- to contact you to provide you with information regarding our business and sales;
- to help us to develop, evaluate and improve our sales and marketing strategies and techniques;
- to provide third parties with the personal information necessary to permit that third party to conduct business with Impact and/or effectively provide you with services including, but not limited to, vehicle transportation services etc.;
- to assist us and third parties in evaluating the vehicle remarketing industry;
- to respond to reasonable inquiries from regulatory, governmental, investigative and law enforcement agencies;
- to create aggregated sales data from information such as sale location, pricing, odometer reading, vehicle condition, vehicle description and vehicle identification number information to assist us and third parties in evaluating market trends;
- to prepare data analyses, and to prepare market report and valuation products; and
- to maintain and update our banned dealer list.
We generally collect personal information directly from you, but may collect personal information from third parties with your consent or as permitted or required by law. For example, we may collect credit, financial and similar personal information from credit reporting agencies or your current or past creditors; we may collect personal information from your employer or personal references; we may collect information from government institutions or regulatory bodies (such as driver licensing offices); and we may collect personal information from our auction sites. For example, some auction sales are video and/or audio recorded for the purposes of resolving disputes, conducting compliance audits and for other purposes described above.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose personal information in the following circumstances:
- We may provide our banned dealer list (which includes the name and address of the affected business and the names of all individual representatives of the affected business whose privileges have been suspended, and the reasons for the suspension) to our affiliates and our and third party auction sites;
- Impact may share personal and/or aggregated information that you have provided to us with other business divisions within the KAR group of companies for marketing purposes unless you ask us not to;
- If you apply for credit from our sister company, AFC (Auction Finance Corporation), Impact shares credit information concerning you with AFC;
- We may transfer personal information to outside agents or service providers (including affiliates acting in this capacity) that perform services on our behalf, such as mailing, call center, billing, marketing, information technology and/or data hosting or processing services. Some of these service providers or affiliates may be located outside of Canada, including in the United States. Reasonable contractual other measures we may take to protect your personal information while processed or handled by these service providers are subject to legal requirements in Canada, the United States and other foreign countries applicable to our affiliates and service providers, for example lawful requirements to disclose personal information to government authorities in those countries;
- We may disclose personal information for other purposes with your consent or as permitted or required by law.
We may use web server logs to collect information such as the IP address associated with the computer or device you used to access our website, the dates and times of access, how long you stayed on a certain page, the type of operating system your computer or device has and the website you visited before or after your visit to our site. This information is used to analyze trends, administer our website, track user movements, and gather demographic information for internal use such as statistical assessments, website improvement and improving user experience.
We may use pixel tags to gather information about emails we send, such as the date and time the email was opened, the recipient's email address, and other standard logging information.
As a resource to our visitors, Impact may provide links to other web sites from our website. Impact has no control over the privacy practices of such web sites. We recommend reviewing the privacy policies of any linked sites before visiting or providing any personal information.
The file containing your personal information is maintained on our servers or those of our service providers and is accessible to authorized employees, agents and service providers who require access in connection with their job responsibilities. Personal information is retained for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected and our legitimate business needs, or for such longer periods as may be required by law.
Access, Accuracy, Corrections and Contact Us
We take reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. If you would like to (a) update or correct personal information previously submitted to Impact, (b) request to have outdated personal information removed or corrected, (c) request access to your personal information in our custody or control, or (d) withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact us by phone at (905) 896-9727 and ask to speak with Impact's legal counsel or write to our legal counsel at: email@example.com
Impact has implemented physical, technical and organizational safeguards to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use and disclosure. These safeguards may include firewalls and password protected access to personal information. Please note, however, that absolute security cannot be guaranteed.
Amendments to Policy